Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Thing 17 - ELM Online Productivity tools

How can these tools be applied to your everyday work?
The web page features on the database would be very helpful for creating subject guides or class guides and linking them to our library webpage. This way, a student in a particular class could get an idea of some possible resources available in their area of study, and then do a search on their own in Academic Source Premier. I could also create search alerts for students or professors for topics of interest/research, or show them how to create alerts for themselves

How can these tools facilitate collaboration with your colleagues?
Creating a shared folder in NetLibrary seemed like the most collaborative idea in this Thing. This is one way that an entire library staff can read the same book, without having to purchase multiple copies, and share "notes" and feedback within the book in an electronic environment. This might be a good idea for a shared book discussion at a reference meeting.

How can these tools benefit your patrons/students?
I often tell students about the "notes" feature in NetLibrary, but I am not aware of how many students actually use that feature when they log into their NetLibrary account. I don't believe our college allows students to create webpages on its server space, so I don't think they'd benefit from creating webpages in ProQuest or EBSCO, but you never know.

No comments: