Thursday, March 13, 2008

Thing 14 - LibraryThing

How can you use LibraryThing for your library?
Library Thing can be used in any library to highlight a special collection or a suggested reading list for a particular topic. For example, I'm calling my latest Library Thing endeavor the "Ring by Spring" collection, which will surely be a big hit with the college students here.

Seriously, though, I see the benefits of Library Thing as more of a social network for readers. I am endlessly fascinated by the "members with your books" tab, and I enjoy perusing the rest of the books in their collections. This is one way I can get ideas for other books to read, in addition to the suggestions directly from Library Thing.

How else do you share booklists, etc. with library patrons? Would LibraryThing offer an alternative?
We typically share booklists and bibliographies with patrons though handouts, files on our webpage, etc. Library Thing might just be an interesting alternative to this, since it incorporates cover art and social data.

There are many other alternatives for sharing booklists in a Web 2.0 environment. One could create a wishlist with Amazon.com, a Lazybase, a Ta-Da List, bookshelf application in Facebook, etc.

I am looking forward to hearing Tim Spalding (the creator of Library Thing) as the keynote speaker at the 2008 Association of Christian Librarians conference!

No comments: