Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Thing 8 discussion

What uses do these tools have for library or personal use?
The slide show tools could replace PowerPoint presentations in some settings. Online slide shows such as those created with ZohoShow are accessible from any computer with Internet access - there is no need to access your network files or a flash drive to present your slides. Online slide shows also facilitate collaboration by allowing geographically distant colleagues to edit the same slide show via the Internet. One could also present a slide show over the Internet to people at a distance, or post the show on your website for public access.

I can see a use for this type of slide show tool in our library instruction sessions. Instructors could access their slides from any computer on campus. The slide shows could be linked or embedded on the library website or within the portal for students to review at a later date.

I used Picture Trail to create the photo slides hows seen below. This type of visual slide show could be used as a fun way to increase library users' familiarity with the people and places of our library. Slide shows give people an "insider" glimpse of people, places or things. I think people feel included as part of a group when they are given the chance to see someone else's slides. Our library might be able to benefit from generating that feeling amongst our users.

I enjoyed using lazybase, an online database tool with potential uses for academic libraries. I've already started a database for my C.S. Lewis book club. Our library could use a lazybase, linked to our website or the portal, to organize and share Research Writing topics, book reviews and recommendations, subject guides, etc. We could choose to give editing privileges to everyone or restrict editing access to library staff.

I was also quite impressed with eFolio Minnesota. What a wonderful tool for everyone in Minnesota to organize and share their professional development activities! Using web functionality, educators, students and other career people can present their professional portfolios using text, pictures and links between sections. With eFolio, I can read about what other educators in Minnesota are doing, learning, presenting and publishing. This will give me ideas for my own professional development, as well as the ability to network with people who have similar professional interests.

I hope this idea catches on on other states and countries. It would be a helpful tool for students researching scholar's credentials for their Research Writing papers.

Was the tool you used easy to navigate and understand? Would you recommend it to others?
I thought that all of the tools were easily understandable, and I would recommend them.

No comments: